The Oatmeal raises $100,000 in a day, BitCoin’s prices stabalize, and Bill Gates’ legacy will outshine that of Steve Jobs. All this and so much more in episode 24 of Technophilia: Oatmeal All Over My Funny Junk.
This week: James outlines what big announcements Apple made this week, and Dave tells you about the games he managed to play at E3. Spoiler: none of them were for the Wii U. James also fills in UK listeners about a little-known trick for improving Netflix’s meager offerings in that country: use an American VPN.
But first, as always, the headlines:
- FunnyJunk is suing The Oatmeal for defamantion, and demanding a $20,000 settlement. Wait, what? That must be backwards. It isn’t?
- In reponse, The Oatmeal raised $20,000 in 64 minutes and donated it to charity. Two days later he had raised well over $150,000.
- The RAM in the new Macbook Pro is non-upgradeable. James thinks this is an acceptable thing in a $2000 laptop, because he’s a fanboy.
- Bitcoin prices are stabalizing. Dave disapproves of BitCoin.
- IE 10 breaks the “Do Not Track” standard by being on by default. Could this be the beginning of the end for the standard?
- In 50 years Steve Jobs will be unknown and Bill Gates will be famous for his charity work, according to Malcolm Gladwell. James thinks Gladwell is just looking for attention; Justin thinks curing malria is a bigger deal than touch screens.
- Hate paying for textbooks? Better hope this patent doesn’t pick up traction.
- Diablo III opened up it’s real money market. Dave can’t believe things are actually selling for $250.
- Finally, Dave answers Dom’s question: “How did you get started in tech blogging?”. Feel free to ask any questions of any of us on Twitter, Facebook, or in the comments below.